Sunday, February 17, 2008

HazCom Plan Rolling Along

I spent time yesterday and Today working on our written HazCom plan.

One of the most frustrating parts about dealing with OSHA concerns is that it is not a straightforward list of rules you need to comply with. They give you the framework and leave it up to you to determine what that means for your business.

There is a lot of guidance, though available online. I found tremendous help available on OSHA's website at http://osha.gov/SLTC/hazardcommunications/standards.html There's also a lot of information available here: http://osha.gov/SLTC/hazardcommunications/index.html

But to be completely frank (and that's what blogs are for) in the end, I searched online until I found a HazCom plan that was already written, and I downloaded it and adapted it for my business.

In a couple of days I'll post the HazCom plan up here so you can read through what I did.

It really took me about 2-3 hour to adapt the HazCom plan. I didn't think that was too bad.

The next thing I did was prepare a powerpoint presentation for employee training. I am working on a management module next for my managers so they understand the regulations and their repsonsibilities. Once that is done, I will put them through the training, and then work with them to put together a chemical inventory. From that, we will gather the MSDSs we need (I already have most of them I think). We'll put the HazCom Plan, Chemical Inventory, Trianing Programs and MSDSs in a binder. Then we'll train all of the employees with the employee training modules. If it wasn't documented, it never happened, so we'll document the training and keep that in the binder.

More later when those portions are done.

No comments: